Implementing A Reverse Proxy with IIS 6MWahl | July 29, 2010 | 6:21 pm
Windows server 2008 IIS7 has differnet proxy options, however IIS 6 does not have anything built in. So i found Managed Fusion URL Rewriter, which is a powerful URL manipulation engine based on the Apache mod_rewrite extension. Here is a link to the Managed Fusion Documentation site http://www.managedfusion.com/products/url-rewriter/documentation.aspx
I found the easiest way to get started was to do the following steps.
1. Download the core files from http://urlrewriter.codeplex.com/releases/36792/download/95504
2. Extract the downloaded files to a directory such as C:\websites\Proxy
3. Create a new IIS site, which will act as your reverse proxy.
4. Under home directory of the new site, select configuration, insert a new wildcard app, browse to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll, and uncheck the box to verify the file exists.
5. Browse to C:\websites\proxy or the name of the directory you created in step 2.
6. Open the ManagedFusion.Rewriter.txt file and delete everything in the file.
7. Insert the these two lines,
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://website or ip address/$1 [NC,P]